Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oopsies!

Um. Day two... Reviews of Waking Rose and the Midnight Dancers!


Waking Rose
by Regina Doman



 
"I love him more than poetry, I love him more than song..."

Thus begins the third novel in the intriguing saga of Rose and Blanche Briar. Rose is singing about Fish, or Benedict, who saved her life when she tried to save his. Ever since then, Rose has been head over heels in love with Fish. Too bad he doesn't feel the same way...

This is my all-time favorite book in the FTN series, and one of my alltime favorite books alltogether. And since I'm a heeuge bookworm, that's pretty impressive. It has everything I love in a book, movie or TV show: Romance (Chaste romance, at that! Can you say RARE), Adventure, Humor, Mystery, and Friendship. I love the kind of stories where the girl is in love with the boy, but the boy thinks of her as just a friend. Or maybe even less than that. I love how Rose thinks that she's given up on Fish, but, maybe, just maybe, he'll fall in love with her, too.



The Midnight Dancers
by Regina Doman


Rachel is tired. She's tired of her everyday routine, and how she is treated by her stepmother and father. She is tired of having to do everything perfectly. When Rachel and her sisters and stepsisters find a secret passageway in their historic home, she decides that it's time for her and the others to take a walk, or a dance, on the wild side. Rachel begins to have two lives, one at night, and one during the day. Her worried father asks for the help of Paul, a med student with a job juggling at the local festival on the side. Paul tries at first to keep them from going out at night, but he realizes that it's going to take something much more than just restriction: Trust.

This book is very different from the first three for many reasons:

  1. This is the first book where the main character is not Catholic
  2. The main character is rebellious, quite different from Rose and Blanche.
  3. Speaking of Rose and Blanche... they're not in it!
  4. It personally seemed darker to me, alot more fighting with personal demons.
Since I'm a Rose girl, it was hard for me to really get into the book. All I could think the first time I read it was, "Where are the Briars and Dennistons?!?!" I had to reread it a few times just to appreciate the new characters. While I don't like Rachel as much as Rose, she is still a very relatable character. I was going to say she was likable, but, unfortunately for me, I didn't really like her. Overall: I'm not the biggest fan of this book. If you've read it, what do you think? Leave your opinion in a comment. I'll post them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment